Three Dantian Meditation
The three Dan Tians or Elixir Fields are areas of the body that correspond to what the ancient Taoists describe as the Three Cinnabar Fields. They were considered to be the palaces of the Gods in the body. The maintenance of freely circulating qi through these areas was said to insure that the Gods would maintain residence in the body and enable the person to have a long and healthful life. If the circulation of qi became obstructed, the Gods would depart ensuring disease and an early death.
These areas can also be interpreted as focal points of different physical and psychological functions of the body. The upper Dan Tian, located in the center of the forehead, corresponds to the physical functioning of the brain and sensory organs and to the psychological processes of thinking and contemplation.
The middle Dan Tian, located in the center of the chest between the breasts, corresponds to the physical functions of respiration and the circulation of qi and blood. Psychologically it functions as the emotional and interaction center of the body.
The lower Dan Tian, located in the lower abdomen between the navel and the public bone, corresponds to the physical functions of digestion, elimination and reproduction. Psychologically it functions as our sense of stability and balance and as the connection of our sexuality.
The Three Dan Tian meditation uses breath and concentration to activate the circulation of qi and blood through these areas.
Three Dan Tian Meditation
1. Close your eyes and place your awareness in the lower Dan Tian. Breathe into this area 5 times.
2. Inhale into the lower Dan Tian and imagine you are drawing qi into your body from the outside. Exhale and radiate the qi out into the universe. 12-36 times.
3. Inhale into the middle Dan Tian and imagine you are drawing qi into you body from the outside. Exhale and radiate the qi out into the universe. 12-36 times.
4. Inhale into the upper Dan Tian and imagine you are drawing qi into your body from the outside. Exhale and radiate qi out into the universe. 12-36 times.
5. Return your awareness to the lower Dan Tian. Focus the breath there and allow qi to accumulate. 12-36 times.
6. Slowly open your eyes. Rub the palms together vigorously until they are warm. Rub your body starting at the head, arms, chest, abdomen, lower back, legs.